Many people experience foot pain every day. One of the most common reasons is plantar fasciitis.
The condition occurs when the plantar fascia becomes inflamed. Without proper treatment, plantar fasciitis can become chronic, making walking or running extremely uncomfortable. Treatment at Be Well Corvallis Chiropractic can help with healing and pain reduction.
Plantar Fasciitis Causes
The plantar fascia ligament connects your heel bone to your toes. This bow-shaped band of tissue serves to support the arch of your foot. Over time, the plantar fascia may be pulled and stretched, causing small tears in the fascia ligament. This results in the pain and inflammation of plantar fasciitis.
The condition is common among runners, dancers, and people who are overweight. Wearing unsupportive shoes can also cause it to occur. While plantar fasciitis can affect anyone at any time, it occurs most frequently between the ages of 40 and 60.
Plantar Fasciitis Symptoms
Pain associated with plantar fasciitis may feel stabbing or like a dull ache, especially near your heel. It usually goes away while sitting or lying down.
For most people, pain increases:
- First thing in the morning
- Throughout the day
- When climbing stairs or standing on toes
- After standing for a long period
- Following exercising, not during
Plantar Fasciitis Treatment
Plantar fasciitis is usually treated conservatively and improves in several months.
- Wearing supportive shoes or shoe inserts to evenly distribute pressure
- Applying an ice pack for 15 minutes a day reduces inflammation
- Staying a healthy weight keeps excess pressure off the fascia
Plantar Fasciitis and Chiropractic
Chiropractic is a very effective treatment for plantar fasciitis. Our team at Be Well Corvallis Chiropractic uses techniques to adjust your feet and spine, which serves to alleviate the painful problem.
Chiropractic benefits include:
- Reduced stress and pressure in the plantar fascia, which allows it to relax. This prevents further painful tears in the fascia.
- Pain management through spinal adjustments. When the spine is aligned properly, the brain and nerves communicate better, allowing the central nervous system to function effectively. This can result in longer-lasting pain relief.
- Lifestyle modifications, foot stretches, and nutritional adjustments to alleviate the pain further.
- Enhanced healing by reducing stress on the fascia. The foot can begin to heal when inflammation is reduced.
- Reduced risk of further injuries caused by the awkward gait due to plantar fasciitis.
The whole-body approach we use at Be Well Corvallis Chiropractic addresses the root problem of plantar fasciitis and offers long-term relief from the painful condition. Contact us at (541) 754-1577 for an appointment today.